Pepakura (papercraft) models are models constructed mainly from sheets of card stock. so here let me show you how to create it
So lets Started with pepakura.
1. at first we need a 3d modelling program such as maya, 3ds max, blender, cinema4d, etc (download it if you don’t have one). or you can also use the ready made 3d models if you have
2. After if you’ve finished modelling your 3D model, export it as .3ds or .obj file for best results. (download the ready-made model here if you don’t know how to create it)
3. Now you need a program called “Pepakura Designer”, download it from here- http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/
after downloading, install it, and then open it.
4. After opening pepakura designer, click on file>open and then locate the 3d model that you’ve just designed(or downloaded a ready made model). and then open it in pepakura designer
5. Now you will get an dialog box asking you whether to “flip” or “no flip”. click on “flip”. and then click “flip” again and then click “ok”. After that, you’ll be asked to provide the size of the model that you want to create, provide the sizes as per your requirements or leave it as default and click “ok”(please note that, you’ve can also change the size later if you want)
6. Now click “Unfold”, this will convert the 3d model into a printable 2d map
7. as you’ve above that the 2d map doesn’t fits perfectly in the paper size, so what do we do now?, solution is very simple, if you right click, you’ll get lots of tools such as rotate, select & move, join/disjoin, etc. to fix the problem select join/disjoin tool & then slice the large piece into many smaller pieces. then use other tools to reposition it so that it fits everything perfectly in the page.
8. now click on 2D menu & make sure that “Show Edge ID” is enabled. then click on settings>printer and other settings & make sure thatyou’ve selected “Print lines clearly(Vector Print)” and the click “OK”
9. Now it’s the time to print it, so now click on file>print and print the sheets. for best results please use a “cardstock”, a cardstock is a very hard but thin paper, used for printing greeting cards & business cards, you can also use a photopaper.
This is what you get after you print it
10. After you’ve finished printing, cut out the sheets like this
11. Now there are two types of paper-folds that pepakura uses, that is- valley fold and mountain fold, in your prints you must have noticed some lines that look like these., they indicate what type of fold you’ve to do.
(a)This type of fold is called valley fold, cause it shapes like a valley
(b)this type of fold is called mountain fold, cause it forms a shape like a mountain
12. in your prints, you must have also noticed some numbers like this, these numbers indicated the joints. what you’ve to do is very simple, just find the matching pair of numbers and then join them together(stick them with a superglue)
13. Now assemble everything. you’ll get it something like this, all tough my model doesn’t looks so good, cause i didn’t had a good superglue.
i have also made another model, it’s a simple gift box.
these are just the basics, you can create almost anything with this technique. and perhaps you can even create this futuristic city model. to make the paper ultra-hard you can use a fiberglass resin or a aqua resin(available in art & craft stores)
- Swiss Rolls With Peaches
- The Evolution Of Facebook