At first have a look at this video
Well, i think most of the PC gamers already know that you need Direct X in order to play PC games.but recently AMD has developed a new API that allows the Game engines(where the games are built) to directly interact with the hardware rather than using DirectX or other display drivers like that.
Mantle Allows PC developers to improve performance by letting them better control the graphics hardware and allowing techniques that were previously limited to console development on the PC
Why Mantle ?
well the first thing that mantle will deliver is much faster speeds and performance. as because it can directly interact with the hardware.
- Reduced runtime shader compilation overhead
- Performance increase over higher-level APIs such as Direct3D and OpenGL.
- AMD claims that Mantle can generate up to 9 times more draw calls per second than comparable APIs by reducing CPU overhead
- Explicit command buffer control
- New rendering techniques.
- All hardware capabilities are exposed through the API.
- Low-overhead validation and processing of API commands
- Advanced Anti-Aliasing features for MSAA/EQAA optimizations
- Multithreaded parallel CPU rendering support for at least 8 cores
- Close to linear performance scaling from recording command buffers onto multiple CPU cores
Which platforms are supported ?
Right now Mantle is available only for windows platform. but it will be available for Linux, Mac and other platforms very soon
Frostbite3 is one of the major game engines that fully take the advantage of AMD’s Mantle API, other game engine’s include Nitrous game engine by Oxide
Which games & GPUs are supported ?
right now, there aren’t many games designed with mantle API, to get full benefits of mantle you’ll need to run a mantle supported game and a AMD mantle GPU. but soon it will support other GPU architectures too
Mantle is designed in such a way that makes it applicable to a range of modern GPU architectures
Some mantle supported AMD GPUs
- AMD Radeon R9 Series GPUs
- AMD Radeon R7 Series GPUs
- AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs
- AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series GPUs
- AMD A10-7000 Series and AMD A8-7000 Series APUs (Kaveri)
- AMD E1-2100 (Kabini and Temash)
Some mantle supported Games
- Battlefield 4 by EA/DICE
- Thief by Eidos-Montreal/Square-Enix
- Star Citizen by Roberts Space Industries
- Sniper Elite 3 by Rebellion Developments
Battlefield 4 is an example of a game that is designed with mantle API, if you have a mantle supported AMD GPU you’re good to go. battlefield 4 will run 45% faster
Watch AMD Mantle VS Direct X video here-
some mantle supported games-
- Benchmarking WordPress
- Calculate The Value Of Pi Using your Computer